Monday, December 17, 2012

New Challenges

I have no excuses. One post, then I disappear for months. It's really unbecoming of a running writer. Still, things have been busy and I have been feeling exceptionally lazy. I herein apologize for my slacking and resolve to do better. Resolve? Yes, it IS that time of the year, isn't it? Next year, quite early next year actually, I will turn 45. I have RESOLVED to do some kind of running event to celebrate another year past; another year of survival, another year closer to the grave.

What I have been entertaining, is the idea of running something somewhat longer than an ordinary marathon. (Been there, done that). I have been considering an ultra. The particular ultra I've been mulling over is fairly "short", as these things go. It's a 50k race, which converts to something like 31 miles. Intellectually, I know that this goal is attainable, despite the fact that I've been mostly plodding along lately at reduced speed and tepid mileage. And yet. Venturing beyond the mystical point of 26.2 is a path fraught with (mostly self-imposed) peril. I remember crossing the finish-line at the 2009 Philadelphia marathon, certain that I couldn't take another step. In fact, I groaned into Erin's ear, "babe, if I ever start talking about running another marathon, remind me of how shitty I feel right now." When I mentioned that I was contemplating taking on this challenge, she promptly reminded me. Being the egotistical SOB that I am, I went out the next day in the rain and ripped off 8 miles. Frailty of the human body, my ass!

Challenges are presented thusly: It's fair to say that I've packed a few pounds around the middle since last year. All that traveling for work and restaurant food will offset even the most aggressive running schedule. I'm topping out at 187, which is about 10 pounds over my 2009 Philly marathon weight. Either the lard goes, or my knees do, its one or the other. Also, time. I have no time. I have three active children and a long commute. I travel about 35 thousand miles a year. Who needs sleep, am I right? I figure as long as I can fit in one long run a week I will be able to make it. Time will tell.

One small glimmer of encouragement was provided by my showing in the Oyster Bay Turkey Trot 5k a few weeks back. Despite my relative lack of training, I placed first in my age group (out of 21 men, 40-44) with a time of 24:17.3 and 94th overall (out of 491 runners). I apparently won a medal, but I didn't stick around to collect it. I realize that there is a big difference between 5k and 50k, but I'll take any encouragement I can get. The picture above is a self-portrait taken at the starting line. It was cold. I was crabby and I just ran two miles to get to the starting line, because THAT's the way I roll.

Anyway, the race is in March, which means I have to up my long runs at a pretty steep pace. Last week, 8, this week, 10. So it goes.


No comments:

Post a Comment