Tuesday, December 18, 2012

The Daily Grind

Since I'm "lucky" enough to work in a sleek modern office building located in the swamps of New Jersey, (with easy access to several major highways), most of my mid-week running is done on the treadmill. I tried running around the parking lot of Giants Stadium a few times, but the wind is viscous, and crossing Route 3 on foot isn't for the faint of heart, so I mostly plod away in the building's gym while watching some obscure BBC show on my smartphone. I get the miles in, which is about about all I can say about that. It isn't training so much as it is maintaining. I do the real work on Thursday mornings, which is the day I typically work from home, or on the week-end.

When I trained for the 09 Philly Marathon, I would get up at 5am on Saturday to get my long run in by 8 or 9. There's nothing like finishing a 20 mile training run followed immediately by another 10 hours on your feet chasing three boys around the house. I don't know how a guy like Dean Karnazes finds the time and energy to do what he does. Apparently he's drafted his family into serving as his support crew and has somehow sold them on the idea that following him around in an RV while he runs 200 miles across Southern California is quality together-time. That wouldn't fly around my house, but I have to admire his powers of persuasion. It probably doesn't hurt that he makes his living from running, while you, me and the rest of the mid-packers have to spend it on shoes, entrance fees and travel to far-off races. This time around I'm really going to try to keep the long runs scheduled for Thursdays; at least I can sit down in front of the computer when I'm done, rather than sprinting around playing tag.

So far this week, I  ran 5 outside on Sunday and 5 yesterday on the dreadmill. Today will be 4 or 5. Tomorrow will also. Why did I start this blog, anyway? I think it had something to do with staying motivated. Maybe tomorrow I'll talk about diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment